Great tips on how to make the dreaded bath easier for you and your loved one with dementia.
Bathing is a necessary aspect of life. However, when someone is caring for a loved one affected by a progressive dementia like Alzheimer’s, bathing can seem like an insurmountable challenge. Below are some reasons why difficulties may occur during the bathing task, and also some tips on how to overcome these challenges.
Reasons for resisting bathing:
- May not know what bathing is for
- May feel afraid or cold
- May experience discomfort at the lack of modesty
- May have had a traumatic experience related to water (e.g., drowning, burns from scalding water)
Tips to help with bathing:
- Have toiletries, towels and washcloths available in advance to make the bathing process easier
- Keep the room temperature warm and reduce bright lights
- Make the person feel in-control — involve and coach through each step of the bathing process
- Experiment to determine if the person prefers showers or tub baths and what time of…
View original post 165 more words